Today we discuss Best Fly Fishing Kayak. Fly Fishing Engages You Directly With The Water As You Go As Close To The Water As Possible, Probably Right On The Water’s Surface. Henceforth, Navigating With A Kayak For Fly Fishing Comes With Indisputable Benefits In Such Conditions.
You can quickly take the kayak through narrow creeks or a shallow part of the lakes or rivers to find the fish structures which other vessels couldn’t reach. The thrill kayaking and fly fishing bring together is simply awesome and fantastic.
Nonetheless, not all kayaks are made for fly fishing. You have to choose the best fly fishing kayak to enjoy the thrill and excitement of your favorite smallmouth bass or red snapper biting the lure. The kayak must have ample dock space and dependable stability. Also, you have to consider its storage space, performance, seating arrangement, etc., to pick the perfect kayak for your necessity.
Unfortunately, with over 1000+ brands and models in the market, this selection isn’t an easy task. In fact, many beginner fly fishers have termed it as ‘the most challenging task’ of their fishing career. So, what to do now?
If you don’t want the hassle and focus more on your fishing skills, take the help of our top ten fly fishing kayaks for a quick selection. The added buyer guide will help you decide which kayak to pick from our recommendations.
So, let us kick-start the fly fishing session with one of these kayaks.
10 Best Fly Fishing Kayak For 2023:
- Perception Pescador Pro 12 Fishing Kayak
- Wilderness Systems ATAK 120 Fishing Kayak
- Pelican Sit-On-Top Fishing Kayak
- Perception Pescador Pilot 12 Fishing Kayak
- Sevylor Coleman Colorado 2-Person Fishing Kayak
- Wilderness Systems A.T.A.K 140 Fishing Kayak
- Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 130 Fishing Kayak
- Old Town Topwater 106 Angler Fishing Kayak
- Pelican Sentinel 100X Sit-On-Top Kayak
- Intex Explorer K2 Fly Fishing Kayak
When you sit on the kayak and through the fishing line into deep water to see the bass, perch, or walleye biting it, you feel something magical, something special, and unexplainable. Choosing the right kayak will provide you with more access to fishing spots and increases the chance of some incredibly prized catch.
Here, take a look at our top choices for fly-fishing kayaks.
1. Perception Pescador Pro 12 Fishing Kayak
- Perception Pescador Pro 12 – the perfect first fishing kayak made in the USA.
- Enjoy all-day comfort with a lawn chair-style mesh seat with 2-level adjustment and breathable mesh.
- The seat can be lowered for relaxed paddling or raised for optimum casting.
- Leak-proof one-piece construction with built-in buoyancy and large front/rear open storage.
- Integrated accessory rails on each gunwale for fish finders, rod holders & other accessories.
- Perfect for lakes, ponds, slow rivers, and calm coastal waters.
- Boat length is 12’, width 32 5”; weight is 64 lbs, and max capacity 375 lbs.
|Breathable and adjustable seating arrangements for day-long comfort.
|Only one person accommodation.
|Large storage compartment with rod holders for all fishing gear.
|The kayak is capable of holding some serious weight on it.
|One-piece construction is durable and won’t sink easily.
- Length: 12’
- Width: 32-1/2”
- Weight: 64 pounds
- Carrying Capacity: 375 pounds
2. Wilderness Systems ATAK 120 Fishing Kayak
- Wilderness Systems ATAK 120 is an elite tactical angling kayak designed with the new Helix MD Motor Drive for advanced fishing performance.
- Celebrated for its open, customizable platform with unmatched stability and a wind-shedding deck, the kayak is equipped with a patented suspension-style seat that offers all day comfort and performance in high, low, and recline positions.
- Easily adjustable Keepers XL Foot Braces and a large back tank well with adjustable bungee secures gear for convenient access during long fishing trips.
- Accessories can be added and removed easily with Sidetracks located in the front, rear, and mid-section of the boat.
- Boat length: 12′ 3″ | Weight: 86 lbs | Max Capacity: 400 lbs.
- Length: 12.3.’
- Width: 35”
- Weight: 86 pounds
- Carrying Capacity: 400 pounds
|You can quickly adjust the reclining seat in three various levels.
|It is an expensive kayak.
|Its streamlined body enhances stability and navigation comfort.
|Not meant for family uses.
|Large storage capacity with 400 lbs. of carrying accommodation.
|Faster movement is possible with the wind-shedding feature.
3. Pelican Sit On Top Fishing Kayak
- Pelican Sit-on-top Fishing Kayak is a 10ft lightweight one person kayak, perfect for fishing.
- The multi-chine flat bottom hull offers excellent stability and the adjustable ERGOFIT G2 seating system provides targeted cushioning and better air flow.
- Featuring additional flotation to meet or surpass ABYC standards, it holds a maximum capacity of 325 lb.
- The added scupper holes ensure peace of mind during your ride while the lightweight 50 lb design makes for easy storage and transportation.
- Length: 10’
- Width: 30.5”
- Weight: 50 pounds
- Carrying Capacity: 325 pounds
|One of the lightest fly fishing kayaks for greater portability.
|Not suitable for fishing in coastal lines.
|It comes with several storage rooms with bungee cords and hatches.
|The kayak is relatively expensive.
|Quick navigation and stability with the multi-chine hull design.
|Ideal for all anglers from beginners to experts ones.
4. Perception Pescador Pilot 12 Fishing Kayak
No products found.
- Perception Pescador Pilot 12 is a sit-on-top fishing kayak with pedal drive.
- Features include an adjustable lawn chair seat and tackle storage areas.
- It is made of polyethylene (PE) and comes in Sonic Camo color.
- Propels exploration and fishing to a new level at an unbelievable price.
- Ample storage features to accommodate fishing gear.
- Suitable for flat, slow-moving, or calm coastal waters – 12’ 5” boat length and 16-inch deck Height.
- Length: 12’
- Width: 33.75”
- Weight: 85 pounds
- Carrying Capacity: 475 pounds
|It has the highest weight-carrying capacity among all reviewed kayaks.
|Not suitable for fishing in saltwater.
|It has a comfortable pedal drive mechanism for easy navigation.
|The kayak is much lower-priced and is easily gettable for all.
5. Sevylor Coleman Colorado 2-Person Fishing Kayak
- Sevylor Coleman Colorado™ 2-Person Fishing Kayak: blend material and multi-color classic style.
- Seating capacity for two people.
- Constructed with 18-gauge PVC, 1000D tarpaulin bottom and 840D nylon cover for enhanced durability and puncture resistance.
- Multiple air chambers allow continued use even in the event of a puncture.
- Length: 12.5’
- Width: 35”
- Weight: 40 pounds
- Carrying Capacity: 400 pounds
|Best fly fishing kayak for two persons with greater storage.
|You have to pay a handsome amount to buy the kayak.
|Puncture-proof and airtight design for chambers and storage.
|Rugged construction ensures extreme durability even in harsh weather.
|Designed for optimal hand-free operation to enhance fishing fun.
6. Wilderness Systems A.T.A.K 140 Fishing Kayak
- Wilderness Systems Tsunami 140 is a 14’ Sit Inside Touring Kayak designed for paddlers of all levels, providing exceptional speed and stability in any condition.
- It offers Phase 3 Air Pro Seating for the most comfortable experience and adjustable Slidelock XL foot rests to accommodate different sizes.
- Features include two mesh gear pockets for secure storage, two storage hatches with bulkheads, and an under-deck water bottle holder.
- Maximum capacity is 325 lbs while the boat weight is 53 lbs.
- Length: 14’
- Width: 34”
- Weight: 95 pounds
- Carrying Capacity: 400 pounds
|The deck is steady and walkable for adult kayakers with enhanced stability.
|The width is less than ATAK 120 and feels congested.
|The adjustable seating positions support better comfort and fun in fly fishing.
|It is heavyweight.
|Large storage compartments with an easy-opening facility.
|The kayak is compatible with the updated Helix MD motor.
7. Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 130 Fishing Kayak
Vibe Kayaks is a popular name in the kayak industry for a long time now. It has already delivered some of the best fly-fishing kayaks for anglers, and the Sea Ghost 130 is definitely one of them. It has everything necessary for comfortable kayaking and angling. Hence, you won’t have to be anxious about anything for the best fly fishing experience with the kayak.
It glides through the waterways smoothly like a fish and takes you quickly to where you want to be for fishing. It is made for 1-person and has 13 feet long. The width is 33 inches. Thus the width and length of the kayak should be easy to sit on for most people. On top of it, the Hero ViBe seat facilitates two adjustable seating positions and exemplary ventilation.
It further has ergonomic and soft-grip handles. All of these account for great comfort. The kayak also has remarkable storage capacity. The dual-hinge console and the oversized cargo storage are more than enough to accommodate all of your fishing and personal accessories. You can also use the rear space for storage with the bungee cord. The hinge console is watertight, ensuring security for electric gadgets. So, you can focus more on fly fishing than wasting time thinking about the accessories’ safety.
For construction, Vibe Kayaks has used one-piece polyethylene. It adds ultra-stability and ruggedness to the kayak design. The hull design has a stealth mechanism. So, it remains quiet in the water. It enhances the chance of going close to fish without letting them know your presence. It is a great benefit for the ambush hunting of large fish.
- Length: 13’
- Width: 33”
- Weight: 75 pounds
- Carrying Capacity: 550 pounds
|The kayak comes with an unbelievable weight carrying capacity of 550 pounds.
|The kayak is too expensive for beginners.
|Its rugged one-piece construction is durable and steady.
|The setup is time-consuming.
|The Stealth hull design allows the kayak to move like an assassin.
|The Hero Vibe seats are adjustable and breathable for enhanced comfort.
8. Old Town Topwater 106 Angler Fishing Kayak
No products found.
The Old Town fishing kayak is a unique fly fishing kayak as it features a stand-up fishing facility. It is so stable that you can comfortably walk on the deck and adjust the fishing line, baits, and lures to attract your desired fish.
The kayak is compact and easily transportable in your car to distant places. Thus, you won’t have to worry about its portability. Also, the overall packaging is nimble and well-crafted. You will love standing over the kayak and casting the fishing line.
The seat features a sit-on-top facility and has breathable element air. So, you won’t feel sweaty during the hot scorching days and give attention to fishing instead of sweeping off the sweat. It is a great relief for fishing in tropical regions.
The stern tank well is purposefully made oversized. So, it helps in storing everything you have from fishing to personal gadgets. It also has a storage facility for the tackles and rods. But the facilities don’t end here. It even has storage accommodation for three-rod holders. So, it is a fully equipped fly fishing kayak.
The deck pads have EVA foam. It enhances stability and traction while you stand on the kayak deck. So, you remain tension free from slipping off the kayak. It brings comfort and safety to anglers.
The Topwater 106 kayak features a Double U hull. It is made ultra-stable for great steadiness on the water. You can navigate confidently with accurate handling. Also, it has a transducer mounting facility to locate the fish with the fish finder.
In short, you get a premium service with the fishing kayak. Indeed, you will love its fishing comfort.
- Length: 10’
- Width: 34.5”
- Weight: 73 pounds
- Carrying Capacity: 440 pounds
|Stable and rugged hull design for comfortable navigation.
|It is a bit shorter in size.
|Space for the transducer to mount the advanced fish finders.
|Steady enough for comfortable standing on the kayak deck.
|The seat is breathable and spacious enough for adults.
9. Pelican Sentinel 100X Sit-On-Top Kayak
- Pelican Sentinel 100X Sit on Top Kayak offers additional storage and secure stability with its twin-arched multi-chine hull.
- It is equipped with a removable EXOSHELL 13L storage compartment, molded footrests, bottle holder, two paddle tie-downs and ABYC standards compliant flotation for safety.
- For extra comfort, it features an adjustable ERGOLOUNGE seating system with extra-thick cushioning and high padded backrest.
- At only 42 lb, this 9ft. 6in kayak is lightweight for easy storage and transportation.
- Length: 9.6’
- Width: 30”
- Weight: 41.8 pounds
- Carrying Capacity: 275 pounds
|It is compact and super portable without any help.
|The storage capacity is a bit on the lower side.
|The kayak is reasonably priced.
|The storage compartment is easily removable.
|Ideal for both fishing and recreational activities.
10. Intex Explorer K2 Fly Fishing Kayak
- The Intex Explorer K2 is a classic yellow two-person inflatable kayak with aluminum oars and an air pump, featuring a US Coast Guard I.D.
- Sporting stylish graphics for high visibility, the low-profile kayak is designed for lakes and mild rivers.
- It offers adjustable inflatable seating with backrests and a removable skeg for directional stability.
- Length: 10 feet
- Width: 36”
- Weight: 30.6 pounds
- Carrying capacity: 400 pounds
|The inflatable seats increase the easiness of transportation with great comfort.
|The kayak isn’t made for marine fishing.
|You can easily remove the SKEG to enhance its directional stability.
|Yellow color increases visibility during emergencies.
|The kayak isn’t costly and fits everyone’s budget.
The Guideline On How To Buy The Best Fly Fishing Kayak
We have introduced ten reliable and widely popular fly-fishing kayaks to you. These kayaks are also usable for recreational activities. Nonetheless, you have to choose while opting for the kayak that suits your fly fishing necessity.
It is important since there are hundreds of fly fishing kayak models in the market. So, you should consider which feature to look for in the fly fishing kayak purchasing time. It will help you maximize your budget benefits and enjoy optimum comfort.
Determine Fishing Location
Not kayak will work best in all water conditions. In fact, kayaks are specifically made for particular locations and won’t survive in other conditions. Hence, you have to determine where you would fish frequently.
The kayak should match your fishing location effectively. For instance, some kayaks are suitable for mild rivers and lakes. On the contrary, some kayaks can comfortably navigate coastal lines and rivers too. So, firstly decide your fishing location and purchase the fly fishing kayak accordingly.
Also, you should consider the type of fish you mostly like to catch. Some fishes live in deep water while others will happily roam around the shores. Thus, it will determine your kayak type too.
Speed And Tracking Facility
Do you want to fish near the river banks or go deep into the lake to find the honey hole for the fish? This type of factor determines how fast the kayak should track and how steady its tracking is in reality. The further you want to go on the waterways, the more crucial a kayak’s speed and tracking become. You would like to have a speedier kayak for fly fishing in deep locations.
Also, for surf fishing in saltwater, you might prefer a seat-on-top arrangement. It enhances stability and comfort during the angling session.
Type Of Kayaks
When you have fixed your fishing location and the desired speed essential for the kayak to go to that specific place, you should then select the right kayak type.
Floating tubes are the least used kayaks and are used if you have limited space at home and vehicles to carry them. Although it is not particularly a kayak, many fly fishers use them for angling in nearby ponds or lakes. You can quickly blow them and use them right off the bat.
Blow-up kayaks are also suitable with limited storage space. But these kayaks often provide a miserable result in fly fishing. The chances are high that you would fall into the water from the kayak. So, we don’t recommend you blow up kayaks.
Then comes the rubber rafting kayaks. Although these rubber rafts are made primarily for rafting sports, some models actually support fly fishing requirements. The inflatable kayaks are mostly made of abrasion-resistant and rugged materials. So, it will withstand harsh conditions better.
Lastly, there are the drift boat kayaks. These kayaks, with great stability and streamlined hull design, become the apple of the eye of enthusiastic fly fishers. The drift boats float slowly but steadily and permit you to cast the fishing line.
So, you can confidently play with the bass and trout to raise them over the water and get your prize for your hard work. The downside of drift boats is that these are often costly, and you can’t navigate them solo. Also, it needs time to master navigation skills on large rivers.
Sit-On-Top Vs. Sit In Arrangements
Sit-in kayaks have an enclosed hull design. The seat-on-top kayaks, on the contrary, come with an open deck and hull design. When it comes to fly fishing, the selection rule is pretty simple.
You should always look for a seat-on-top kayak for the best fly-fishing experience. These kayaks have sufficient storage space. Thus, you can comfortably store your fishing and personal accessories. The open hull design is ideal for fly casting with precision.
Also, seat-on-kayaks are slightly larger and so, have better steadiness. It becomes crucial for your comfier fly fishing experience.
Seat Adjustment And Comfort
Fishing is a challenging sport by all means. Hence, you would like to maximize your comfort for fly fishing. The comfort mainly comes from seat adjustments. The kayak seat should have opportunities to adjust the seat according to your physique.
Also, it should have a comfortable backrest. The backrest may have adjustability too. Next, it should feature breathable mesh construction. It helps in keeping sweat and moisture away during hot and humid conditions.
Weight Carrying Capacity And Storage
The storage facility of the kayak is important as it determines how many accessories you can actually carry on the kayak. Also, the weight-carrying capacity will have a direct influence on the storage of the kayak.
A kayak with great storage capacity is better if you plan for long days of fly fishing. Also, it permits you to bring more fish to the land. Also, if you opt for a two-person kayak, it should also have better storage capacity.
Ideally, most kayaks have around 325 pounds of weight-carrying capacity. Some kayaks, however, take it to the next stage with up to 550 pounds of storage. Also, the storage compartment must be watertight to ensure the security of the stored accessories.
Lastly, you should count the number of rod holders the kayak has. It will help you cast more fly fishing lines at the same time.
Kayaks are indeed made of every possible material. It includes composite, plastic, fiberglass, inflatable, and thermoform materials. For obvious reasons, plastic and inflatable kayaks are the most popular among fly fishers.
Plastic-made kayaks are lightweight and feature a steady hull design. Also, it can take some abrasions without any issues.
Benefits Of Using Fly Fishing Kayaks
The kayaks have become popular and steady equipment for fly fishing. Experienced anglers have maximized their fly fishing experience from the kayaks.
But what are the exact benefits that a kayak brings to your fly fishing enjoyment?
- Kayak navigation doesn’t need much skill. You can quickly learn the navigation tricks and move on water successfully. Thus, kayaks are great for beginners to kick off their fly-casting career.
- Kayaks have better mobility on the water than any other water vessels, including boats. Also, its streamlined and narrow shape can comfortably float through narrow spaces in lakes, rivers, and creeks.
- Kayaks are useful for fishing in shallow water since it doesn’t require much depth in water. It can easily navigate through with a few feet of water depth.
- The kayaks are compact and mostly inflatable. So, it helps in easy transportation in the lakes, rivers, and coastal lines. It is a great benefit for anglers.
- Kayaks, specially seat-on-top ones, come with incredibly higher storage capacity. Thus, you can carry more accessories within the airtight compartments. Also, they have a bungee cord attachment facility for an additional storage facility.
- The maintenance cost of the kayaks is so low that you won’t even notice it. Also, most kayaks are durable and so don’t need much maintenance at all.
faqs for Best Fly Fishing Kayak:
We know how challenging it is to find a dependable, stable, and steady kayak for fly fishing. While one kayak may have supreme steadiness, the other might have optimal durability. Thus, during our best fly fishing kayak review, we have gone miles ahead to combine the most practical features of the kayaks to recommend them to you.
When you plan for your first fly fishing, you can swiftly choose from our ten top kayak suggestions. These kayaks are worthy of every penny and will surely boost your fishing experience.